Shear Connectors for Construction Industry
Shear Connectors are used as an essential component in steel-concrete composite structures, beam design and construction.
Composite construction combines the positive features of steel construction and structural concrete. This means that a steel skeleton structure is combined with concrete parts so that a joint bearing effect is created. The steel beams bear the tensile forces, while the concrete bears the compressive forces and provides fire protection.
In composite structures, the connection between steel and concrete must be resistant to shearing stress, so that a composite effect is achieved, resulting in composite action. The use of cold-forged shear connectors allows for composite construction on a large scale. Shear Connectors act as reinforcing members, locking the support structure to the concrete floor. Shear Connectors transfer horizontal shear from slab to beam, causing the two elements to act as a unit. Strength and stiffness of the stud welded Shear Connector section can be increased without using more steel.
Advantages of Shear Connectors in Construction:
- Cost savings in reduction of building materials in the design of composite structures.
- Reduce building height and save on materials as lighter beams result in shallower floor sections.
- Secures concrete to steel structural components.
- Increase shear loading capacity in steel buildings.
- Provides larger rooms with fewer obstructions because longer beams can be used.
- Reliable and safe under static and dynamic stress.
- Mechanical interlock of steel and concrete.
- Anchorage of steel parts in concrete for various load directions, no cracking forces because of mechanical interlock.
- Firm welds produced by stud welding.
- Electronically controlled and monitored stud welding equipment ensures repeatability and verifiable quality of the weld.
- Application by trained operators – no highly qualified welders required.
- Rail and pedestrian bridges
- Multi-storey car parks and offices
- Mezzanine offices
- Commercial and industrial buildings
SIGNUP to our Monthly Newsletter!!