Dickinson Group of Companies has 90 years of experience in the specialised field of refractories.
The company specialises in the installation, repair and maintenance of the refractory linings across the complete range of metals smelting, mineral processing, chemical, refining and power generation refractory consuming industries including:
- Cement & Lime
- Ferrous and Non-Ferrous
- Pulp and Paper
- Power Generation
- Iron, coke & steel
- Ferrochrome & Ferromanganese
- Heavy Sands
- Power Plants
- Lead Smelter
- Refractory Manufacturing
The company has extensive experience in the installation of all types of refractory materials including; bricklaying, pneumatic gunning, shotcreting, ramming, pumping, vibrocast and placement of castables, and ceramic fibre products across the complete range of furnace designs.
Dickinson Group of Companies has carried out the installation of refractories on numerous initial construction and furnace rebuild projects throughout Sub-Saharan including; South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Mozambique, Zambia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Malawi, Gabon, Nigeria, Niger, Senegal, and internationally including: Israel, United Arab Emirates, Argentina and Iceland.
Refractory materials are essentially heat-resistant materials, such as refractory bricks, castables, ramming or gunning materials, which are designed to maintain their strength in high-temperatures. These materials are often used in highly technical industries as the building blocks for large production facilities, such as smelters and incinerators.
Refractory management refers to the management of these production facilities and the processes governing them. Whilst many of these refractory facilities are designed to withstand intense heat, many specialised industries require resistance to other extreme conditions such as acidity, alkalinity, corrosion, abrasion and erosion.
Our team has vast experience, covering a range of furnaces and plant configurations including:
- Brick Tunnel Kilns
- Acid Plants
- Rotary Kilns
- Cement Plants
- Carbon Bake Furnaces
- Non-Ferrous Plants
- Glass Plants
- Aluminium Smelters
- Copper Smelters
- Nickel Smelters
The scope of refractory management also includes refractory stock management, offsite refractory material handling, onsite refractory material handling, strategic warehousing, supply & support of refractory management software as well as refractory technical support.
Whether you need repairs to current facilities or are looking to establish a new plant, we have a qualified and industry experienced team of ceramic engineers, refractory supervisors, bricklayers, gunning crews, and carpenters who have specialized knowledge of all facets of refractory design and construction.
Our belief is that the refractory management is a partnership for the long-term, our team will be available to manage the process with you – from the pre-planning to the ongoing refractory installation and demolition works throughout the service life of the furnace.
Our expertise covers:
- Resourcing with skilled refractory technicians and engineers to ensure you the highest quality outcomes
- Project and construction management
- Pre-shutdown inspection and scope identification
- Refractory Materials Management including selection, procurement, testing and stock management
- Installation of refractory materials
- Specialized refractory bricklaying
- Vibrocasting and installation of castables
- Shotcreting, high density and pneumatic gunning
- Ramming installations
- Installation of precast refractory shapes
- Dense pneumatically applied castable
- Specialized formwork manufacturing -Steel / Wood / Polystyrene / Polyurethane
- Drying and curing of refractory linings
- Development of commission criteria – ensuring the life of your facilities through scheduled heat-up phases and dry-out periods too
- Condition monitoring to ensure you have a holistic overview of the production facilities and their efficiency