Dickinson Group of Companies founded in 1910, by James Halliwell Dickinson, who was born in England in 1880 and emigrated to South Africa in 1901. In 1910 he formed J.H. Dickinson Construction and after his son was born the company’s name was changed to J.H. Dickinson & Son.
In 1928, Jackie, son of James Dickinson, was engaged as a carpenter for J.H. Dickinson & Son in the building of one of the first blast furnaces to be built in South Africa at Iscor Pretoria (now ArcelorMittal). At the time the company was the first refractory installation company in South Africa.
Dickinson Group of Companies has successfully been trading for 110 years, having grown to be one of the world's leading providers of furnace and industrial services, to the mining, metals smelting, mineral processing, petrochemical refining and heavy industrial sectors.
1910 - Founding of J.H. Dickinson Construction (Pty) Ltd, as a building construction company, in Vereeniging, South Africa by James Dickinson, great-grandfather of current Chairman of Dickinson Group of Companies.
1928 - J.H. Dickinson Construction (Pty) Ltd undertakes refractory installation on the first blast furnace at the new Iscor steel plant in Pretoria. Establishment of John R. Dickinson Refractory Brickwork Specialists (Pty) Ltd by John (Jackie) Dickinson.
1940 - Vereeniging Town Council
1955 - Henley Pipe Company
Four Generations of Dickinson Family: Jackie R. Dickinson - James H. Dickinson - Trevor M. Dickinson
- Neville J. Dickinson
Henley Pipe Company Board of Directors
1960 - Dickinson Group of Companies' logo - No.3 Blast Furnace, Rhodesian Iron & Steel
1966 - Name changed to J.R. Dickinson & Sons (Pty) Ltd – The Refractory Specialists
1983 - Refractory Fibre & Anchor Systems (Pty) Ltd - t/a Dickinson Anchor Systems
1986 - Refgun (Pty) Ltd - name changed to Dickinson Precast Refractory (Pty) Ltd
1995 - Dickinson Demolition (Pty) Ltd
1999 - Dickinson Mozambique Lda (closed 2018)
2004 - J.R. Dickinson & Sons name changed to Dickinson Group (Pty) Ltd - Mining, Metals Smelting & Mineral Processing Contractors
2010 - 100th Anniversary of the founding of Dickinson Group of Companies, trading as a four-generation family business
2013 - DG International Ltd (Mauritius) - International Holding Company
- Dickinson East Africa Ltd (Tanzania - closed 2016)
- Dickinson Kalis Zambia Ltd - Copper Smelter Services
2015 - Dickinson China Ltd - Silo Cleaning Services, China
- Dickinson Egypt Ltd - Furnace & Industrial Services, Egypt
- Dickinson M&S Ltd - Corrosion Protection Services
- SA Platforms Zambia Ltd - Work-At-Height Solutions
- Dickinson Industries Ltd - Mining & Industrial Supplies
- Dickinson Mining Services Ltd - Mining Vacuumation Services
- Dickinson Mpumalanga (Pty) Ltd – Furnace & Industrial Services, Mpumalanga
- Forrest Dickinson SAS - Furnace & Industrial Services, DRC
- Dickinson Maintenance Services (Pty) Ltd - Multidisciplinary Maintenance Services
- Dickinson North West (Pty) Ltd - Furnace & Industrial Services, North West Province
- Dickinson Namibia (Pty) Ltd - Furnace & Industrial Services, Namibia